Created on Thursday, 28 July 2011 11:47
FunTreks is now offering data cards with tracklogs and waypoints that match our books. Simply plug the card into your GPS unit and see your exact position on a topographic background as you move along the trail. The card is NOT designed to be used by itself. You’ll still need the book to see photos of the trail, custom map annotations, trail overview, trail rating, vehicle recommendation, trail stats, contact information, driving tips and step-by-step directions.
The cards work with most (but not all) Garmin GPS units and a few other brands. Click here to see compatibility chart. If your GPS unit has a SD card slot, it will probably work, even if it’s not on our list. However, you may have to consult your GPS user’s manual to figure it out. If you can’t get the card to work on your unit, simply return it within 30 days for a full refund.
What is on the data card?
Download the data card manual here.
Click on the books below to see the Data Card.
What is on the data card?
Start of Trail & Points of Interest (POIs)
Each FunTreks data card includes the start of each trail from the corresponding book as a custom Point of Interest. Once the card has been inserted, some receivers will ask to import the POIs from the FunTreks data card. We do not recommend importing the POIs to the receiver due to limited amount of internal memory in most units.
Tracks / Breadcrumb Trails
Tracks that correspond to the complete trail in the book are included on the topographic maps on the data card. Your unit will also show the waypoints that correspond to the waypoints in the book.
NOTE: If the tracks/TOPO lines don’t appear on your device, you may have to disable the on-board maps. This website includes detailed instructions on disabling built-in Nuvi Maps.
Files in GPX Format
All FunTreks Data Cards include GPS Exchange Format (GPX) files that will work with nearly every GPS unit and computer program that supports GPX files. Some tablet devices may be able to read these files as well.
Other Non-Supported Uses for GPX Format
Consult the user manual for your software/device on how to use GPX data with these applications.
Files/Folders on the Card
FunTreks Data Cards include the following folders:
--This folder contains all of the Garmin maps, tracks, and points of interest (POIs) that are automatically loaded on supported Garmin GPS units
--This folder contains GPX files that include the waypoints and full track log for each trail in the book.
--This folder includes GPX files for the trailheads of every trail in the book. These files are useful for getting driving directions to the trailhead of any trail.
Our data cards are intended to be used along with matching book. The book includes critical ancillary information not on the data card, including: trail overview, trail rating, vehicle recommendation, trail stats, driving tips, mileage log, annotated map and photos of trail conditions. With or without the book, FunTreks, Inc. disclaims any and all liability for bodily injury, death or property damage that could occur to you or any of your passengers while using any of our data cards.
FunTreks, Inc grants a non-exclusive perpetual personal-use license for files on these data cards, subject to the following restrictions:
- Data cards are intended to be used with FunTreks Guidebooks and not as a stand alone map.
- This license is for personal use only. Personal use means non-commercial use of the files for use on personal computers, GPS units, or mobile devices. This file may not be used in any way whatsoever in which you charge money, collect fees, or receive any form of remuneration. This file may not be resold, relicensed, or sub-licensed, or listed on any website, forum, newsgroup, ftp or webserver, or other online location.
- Title and ownership, and all rights now and in the future, of and for this file remain exclusively with the FunTreks, Inc.
- There are no warranties, express or implied. This file is provided 'as is.'
- FunTreks will not be liable for any third party claims or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license or buyer's use of this file.
- Please Note: Trail conditions can change without notice. FunTreks, Inc. and its owner and employees are not responsible for injury, death, or vehicle damage as a result of using this file.
* Pre-loaded topographic maps are provided to us at no cost from GPSFileDepot.com and www.miscjunk.org. Anyone can visit their site to download the available maps.